Monday, January 4, 2016

The One Where We Can Help Out Missionaries Everywhere

Hello everyone! First post of the New Year! 2016 is going to be great for Sister Mindy, we just know it! here is this week's email from the best missionary out there. Enjoy! :)


Happy New Year!
 
Sorry for another week of no pictures! I'm still trying to get that figured out but something isn't compatible so... SORRY! Hong Kong is beautiful and busy but it's been humid this week because of the rain. I'm excited to see what my hair is going to look like in the summer if it's already the mess that it is now!
 
Sister Takahashi and I have still been working on getting in contact with less actives in our area. But I did finally go "finding" in a park the other day for the first time. Sister Ng (from my district in the MTC) and I go on splits every once in a while because our companions are Sister Training Leaders. One time we went to a park to go finding and we ended up teaching this family on a bench about the Restoration and we gave them a Book of Mormon. We forgot to reschedule them again, so that was a mess-up but it was still really fun to talk with them. The story of how we actually got them to sit down with us is a silly one. To put it in as little words as possible, I looked like a crazy person (I may or may not have literally ran after them yelling, "I think I need to give this to you" in Cantonese) and Sister Ng saved the day. Moral of the story, Satan doesn't want you to open your mouth and share the gospel. He wants us to be afraid of what people might think of us. he wants to try to bind our tongues. It's our job not to let him win, so we need to share the gospel often and boldly.
 
 That leads me to the real topic that I have been impressed to share this week. I don't usually think about what I'm going to say in these emails until I sit down to write them but this week I've been thinking about this topic for at least four days. So, GIVE YOUR LOCAL MISSIONARIES REFERRALS! There are entire sections in Preach My Gospel that talk specifially about how important members are in the work of missionaries. You guys are crucial for us! We can spend all day finding, tracting and contacting people on the bus or street but the people that actually end up getting baptized are usually the ones that are brought to us by members.
 
I was not very active in missionary work before I was a missionary. I really hate to say that but it's true. I did not have a clue how much the missionaries needed members help, or what a members duty is toward missionary work. A members duty is not actually to feed the missionaries (although that is also very apprieciated). Members have a duty to help fellowship the people the missionaries bring to activities and to church. Members have the responsibility to act in a Christ-like way so that the people we bring feel loved, welcome and like they aren't being judged. Members have a duty to share with others what they already know is blessing their lives. I didn't know, but now I do so I want to share it with you.
 
There's a scripture in the Doctorine and Covenants that talks about this DUTY that members have. It's D&C 88:81 "Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor."  We have this amazing knowlege of our Savior. We have this incredible message of strong families, forgiveness and eternal life. It's selfish of us not to share that with others. You may be thinking "But what if they don't take it well?", "What if they stop being my friend or think I'm weird?" That's Satan binding your tongue. If you are sharing this message of Christ out of love for your neighbor or family members than you are being Christs representative the way that you should be. Missionaries are trained on how to best help members share the gospel. We can help coach you on what to say. We can help you create a teaching enviroment/opportunity. Just ask and we will GLADLY supply our time to help you. We need you and your Heavenly Father needs you. Please don't be scared about what people might think of you. Fear is not from God and it never will be. Be courageous because you have something that is worth more than gold and every. single. person. on this earth needs to hear it.
 
I'm going to step off my soap box now but I want you to know that there are incredible blessings that come from sharing the gospel. Member referrals work better because they're given out of love and love can change lives. Those people you bring automatically have a support system through you and that's SO important with new investigators. There's a special spirit that comes into your life and your home when you are sharing the gospel. That spirit will help you and your family come closer together and will help you grow closer to Christ. So, I encourage you to find out what your duties are as a member toward missionary work and I challenge you to think of someone you know who would benefit from the gospel and give those names to the missionaries. Do this prayerfully and with faith. You'll see miracles happen, I can promise you that.
 
I love you all so much. Thank you for your prayers and your love toward all missionaries, not just me. We need your love and your strength.
I hope you all have a fantastic week!
Sister Adams


This is the view of Sister Adams' apartment building from the ground! 
This is our cute Missionary on Christmas with the T-shirt and stocking her mama gave her :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment