Friday, May 20, 2016

The One Where Mindy Talks About Her New Companion

Lovely email from our lovely missionary! few days late, but better late than never, eh? hope you enjoy! she's killing it out there is Hong Kong :)



My Companion Ate a Whole Fish Today

Hellooooo! How are you all?

Sorry I didn't send out an email last week. I got to skype my family and then didn't really have time to send out a big email. But here am I, safe and sound and loving Tsim Sha Tsui. I don't really have any new pictures for you all because my camera has been dead for the past two weeks and I haven't had time (or the will) to buy batteries yet. Sorry. 

Let's see... what fun thing can I share about the mission this week? Sister Mendoza and I are still trying to get a feel for the area. We've actually only been able to see about half of our area because it's so big! We have most of the population of Hong Kong living in our area, so there's a lot of souls to save! ;) We're hoping to be able to see the rest of it in the next couple of weeks. 

Sister Mendoza and I are having a lot of fun. I've been teaching her english idioms and she's been teaching me how to be a better cook, a better person and a better missionary. I definitely get the better end of the deal in this companionship. In China (and apparently the phillipines), people eat the whole fish, except for the bones and fins. It's been a fasinating experience for me to watch just how much of one fish people can eat. I wish I'd taken a picture of the fish that she ate today before she ate and then after so that you could see what I mean. It was quite impressive (I'm not a fan of fish so I just watched her eat it while I ate my pasta. To my credit, I did try a couple pieces). 

Sister Mendoza and I have three solid investigators that we are teaching, one is a grandma, one is a 10 year old and one is a mom. We've got quite the wide range. I'm learning a lot about planning and teaching lessons according to needs and circumstances. It's VERY easy as a missionary to get in the habit of teaching according to your lesson plan and your knowledge, not based on the promptings of the Spirit and the needs of those you teach. Teaching by the Spirit is so necessary when you are trying to help people become truly converted. You truly cannot bring people to Christ without it. 

I'm grateful to be a missionary when I have so many tools available to me and I'm grateful for all the trials, fun times and crazy things that are helping me grow and become more like my Savior. 

Adventure of the week: I actually have two. Hong Kong has some interesting people in it, to keep it short and sweet, a pohpo hit me with her umbrella this week while we were less-active finding. The other one is that while I was trying to send this email, the internet at the library went out and after waiting 45 minutes for it to work, we were told that the internet in all the libraries in Hong Kong is out right now. We then sprinted across the city to an internet cafe. All the adventures of being a missionary in Hong Kong. :) I'm loving every minute of it. 

I hope you all are embracing your adventures and that you are taking the time to listen to the Spirit and letting it guide your life. It's just as important for you to become more deeply converted through the Spirit as it is for my investigators to become converted through the Spirit. 

Love you all! 
Sister Adams




No comments:

Post a Comment